OLD BRIDGE, WARRANDYTE
In this work, Walter Withers has depicted the old Warrandyte wooden bridge, which was built in 1875. After a number of repairs it was finally closed in 1955, when the new bridge was opened. The new bridge is located upstream from the site of the original wooden bridge. Walter Withers often visited Warrandyte, and would call on his close friend and one time pupil, Clara Southern at her home ‘Blythe Bank’, situated on the Research-Warrandyte Road on ‘The Hill’ above the bridge.
Left: Arthur Streeton
- Above Us The Great Grave Sky, 1890