THE PIER, MORNINGTON,
In this watercolour work, Elizabeth Parsons has depicted the old Mornington Pier, and some workers with a cart unloading wood, possibly to be used for repairs to the pier. Mornington was considered one of the 'beauty spots' on Port Phillip Bay, and was one of the destination points for the Bay Excursion Steamers. Artists would join the many other day-trippers, and the approach to the pier at Mornington, became a well-known landmark, and one that was photographed by many and later reproduced on postcards.
Mornington was named in 1864, and became a Shire on 24 November 1871. Before 1864, the area was known as Schnapper Point, which is the Point shown in this work, to the west of the pier. The road to the pier is now called Schnapper Point Drive. This was one of the areas that W.M.K.Vale, father of May Vale, speculated in land.
Left: Arthur Streeton
- Above Us The Great Grave Sky, 1890